Sunday, May 6, 2012

Consumer Supported Agriculture

Ever since I heard of this, I've wanted to do it, except that it didn't make any sense because we had a garden. I should say Mike had a garden; he was the hard worker. And he loves gardening, he's a dirt mystic, and it would be silly to make him stop so we could buy stuff instead.

So, we already had produce. I had enough to cook! Have you ever had a man walk into the kitchen and plunk down a five pound zucchini? And wondered why you weren't excited? Wondered, in fact, why you screamed?

Note: I never cooked one of those giant zucchinis. You have to draw the line somewhere. There was also the year with all the pak choy. I say, this is why you have a compost pit.

Well, this year he's taking a break from garden responsibility. The garden is at my brother's place, and required a trip every couple of days, interrupting his painting. My sister-in-law is picking up the slack.

So, this week we picked up the first box from the CSA we joined. It's called Be Wise Ranch, and they have a location less than five miles from us. If you don't know how this works, here's the deal. You join the CSA and pay up front for three months at a time, which gives the farmer operating capital. Then you go get your produce on your assigned day. We signed up for the big box, $30 a time, every other week. There's a smaller box for $25, but since we already ran out and it's 4 days to go for our next box, I think this will work out. We'll see if my cooking enthusiasm dwindles -- maybe we'll even increase the order.

Here's what we got this time: cauliflower, asparagus, mustard greens, red Russian kale, celery, carrots, golden beets, Romaine leaf lettuce, cabbage, blueberries, strawberries, oranges, lemons, tangerines, tangelos. There are a few Valencia oranges left in the fridge, but I have plans for those, and there are some carrots left. I tried a couple of new recipes (mustard greens with balsamic glazed garbanzos, and cream of celery soup with no cream) that turned out great.

The farm is organic, which is nice, and I plan to research the prices at my usual produce departments to compare. As of yet I have no idea how that calculation will come out.

I am excited to see what's in the surprise box on Thursday. And we are eating so healthy!







No comments:

Post a Comment